A list of half-baked ideas I’m considering, usually somewhere on the scale between impractical and very impractical. I take no credit for most of these. Nothing new under the sun, right? If you are:
working on something which sounds like it’s listed here
or have an idea about my idea
or want to save me time by pointing me to an existing solution
or want to tell me why it won’t work and I’m an idiot
Collaboration & learning
- Concept: habit-tracking app.
- A regular series where a bunch of friends and I log onto Zoom and watch a lecture, followed by a discussion about it
- Phrased differently: how can I chat with 5 other people obsessed with the same thing as I am this week? Be it a concept, company, question, or idea?
- Online video discussion platform with automatic transcription, Reddit-style upvoting for questions, auto-merging of similar questions, deep-links to referenced books, talks, podcasts and an auto archive version.
- Balaji S. Srinivasan: Someone should build Zoom for full remote conferences, and do it right now. (Twitter thread)
- A private Twitter account only I follow, sourcing tweets from Readwise + Anki
- Retweet / Like can be used to signal how soon I want to see it again.
- Make my social media use more productive
- Livestream a group of programmers (remote, in-person?) collaboratively building something over the course of a week … open source on Twitch.
Information organization, discovery, visualization
- Everything described in my Digital Tools I Wish Existed post
- A service to auto-convert any uploaded PDF to HTML, host it, allow markup, discussions
- Multiple uploads of same file redirect to same URL
- Git-like versioning system
- Could be hosted on IPFS?
- Aggregate discussions from the internet (Reddit, HN)
- Google results but mapped in 3D with results sortable by longevity, backlink count, search terms. Ability to cross-reference multiple searches. Needs AR + high fidelity hand gestures to be useful.
- Timeline of one’s life overlaid over much longer timeframes and significant events (company foundings, wars, country foundings, inventions, etc) to remind me how short life is.
- Voice interfaces (Alexa, Google Voice, etc) should pause the audio/video stream at the timecode the first cyclable was uttered, not at that point it finished transcribing your speech.
- I suspect this would make them feel much snappier.
Browser improvements, extensions
- An extension to color text on Wikipedia according to how long it’s been part of the page.
Tech support tools
- A service to let family members collaboratively manage an email for older/non-tech savvy relatives to prevent phishing, and to maintain easy access for tech support.
Productivity & Health
- Try associating left hand phone use with productive things like reading and flashcard review, and right hand with social media
- Not sure if this would actually help anything
- Disconnect Day: no internet whatsoever, save for 2 email checks. Ideally weekly.
- John Carmack: “I was doing a remote study/think time this week, and I tried a “no screen time day” as an experiment … It was inconclusive” (Twitter thread)
- Upvote and downvote buttons